Atlanta United defeats Seattle Sounders 7-1
Josef Martinez, Romario Williams and Dion Pereira score braces, Gonzalo Martínez adds goal in club debut
Atlanta United opened its 2019 preseason schedule with a scrimmage against Seattle Sounders on the campus of California State University Fullerton. The two teams played four sessions of 30 minutes each.
Atlanta United 7 , Seattle Sounders 1
ATL – Josef Martinez (Julian Gressel) 13’
ATL – Gonzalo Martínez (P) 30+1’
ATL–Josef Martinez (Tito Villalba) 46’
ATL–Dion Pereira (Kendall Edwards) 72’
SEA–Ray Serrano 88’
ATL– Romario Williams (Amir Bashti) 95’
ATL– Romario Williams 101’
ATL–Dion Pereira 109’
- Anderson Asiedu, Amir Bashti, Gonzalo Martínez, Dion Pereira, Brek Shea and Brendan Moore all made their first appearances for Atlanta.
- Josef Martinez scored the opening goal in the first session, as Ezequiel Barco played in Julian Gressel behind Seattle’s back line on the right side of the box. Gressel crossed the ball across the face of goal where Martinez struck a shot off the left post and in.
- Gonzalo Martínez converted a penalty kick late in the first session to make it 2-0. G. Martinez received a pass from George Bello at midfield and made a long run into Seattle’s penalty area where he was taken down by Jonathan Campbell. G. Martínez took the penalty and drilled it into the bottom right corner shot past Stefan Frei.
- Josef Martinez made it 3-0 in the second session, as he received a pass from Tito Villalba outside the semi-circle at the top of the box, took one touch and fired a right-footed into the net.
- Dion Pereira added the fourth goal for Atlanta in his first appearance for the club. After a corner, Kendall Edwards collected a loose ball and struck a shot towards goal that Pereira calmly re-directed into the goal.
- Seattle scored in the third session as Ray Serrano tapped in a loose ball after an initial shot bounced off a Sounders’ player’s back.
- In the final session, Romario Williams headed in a cross from Amir Bashti to make it 5-1. Brek Shea made a run down the left side and sent a ball across the box that found Bashti, who crossed the ball back inside the six-yard box to Williams who headed in the finish.
- Romario Williams scored his second goal of the match to make it 6-1. Brandon Vazquez sent in a cross from the left side of the box and a missed clearance fell to Williams who smashed the ball into the net from three yards out.
- Pereira added his second goal in the final session. Gordon Wild played a corner kick that Romario Williams headed off the post but Pereira was there to tap it over the line.
ATL– Leandro González Pirez
SEA– Danny Leyva
ATLANTA UNITED STARTING LINEUP
Brad Guzan (Alec Kann, Brendan Moore); Anderson Asiedu (Amir Bashti), Ezequiel Barco (Dion Pereira), George Bello (Brek Shea), Leandro Gonzalez Pirez (Mikey Ambrose), Julian Gressel (Gordon Wild), Gonzalo Martínez (Tito Villalba, Romario Williams), Josef Martinez (Brandon Vazquez), Michael Parkhurst (Jeff Larentowicz), Eric Remedi (Andrew Carleton), Miles Robinson (Kendall Edwards)
SEATTLE SOUNDERS STARTING LINEUP
Stefan Frei – captain; Kelvin Leerdam, Chad Marshall (Román Torres 30’), Jonathan Campbell, Nick Hinds+; Gustav Svensson, Danny Leyva+; Handwalla Bwana, Víctor Rodríguez, Azriel Gonzalez; Raúl Ruidíaz
Second Group (beginning at 46’) – Bryan Meredith – captain (Trey Muse 80’); Henry Wingo, Román Torres (Aleks Berkolds 72’), Kim Kee-hee, Brad Smith (Jordan McCrary 72’); Joel Rydstrand*, Alex Roldan; Jordan Morris (Alfonso Ocampo-Chavez 72’), Danny Leyva+ (Danny Robles+ 60’), Ray Serrano+; Will Bruin
Third Group (beginning at start of last period) – Trey Muse; Jordan McCrary, Blake Malone^, Aleks Berkholds*, Connor Draught^; Josh Atencio+, Danny Robles+; Shandon Hopeau+, Marlon Vargas+, Alfonso Ocampo-Chavez+; Alec Diaz+
+ Player currently signed to Tacoma Defiance roster
* Unsigned SuperDraft selection or preseason guest player
^ Sounders FC Academy Player
One thought on “Atlanta United defeats Seattle Sounders 7-1”
It’s been a long time since I’ve been to Seattle. Can you believe the snow Seattle got a couple weeks ago?! It’s nothing like the snow we have back home but I guess it really shut down the area. I’m glad spring is right around the corner.