Alex Bentley scored seven of her 12 points in a decisive fourth quarter while Elizabeth Williams led both teams with 17 points, but Indiana was able to edge out Atlanta 61-59 Wednesday night at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.
Jessica Breland put the Dream on the board first, but the Fever went on to outscore Atlanta in the opening quarter, pulling into a 13-11 lead in the final minutes of the quarter. While the Dream’s offensive efficiency improved in the second quarter, the Fever’s did as well, helping Indiana outscore Atlanta again to lead 32-25 heading into halftime.
Back-to-back three-pointers from Bentley and Nia Coffey pulled the Dream into the lead at 55-54 in the fourth quarter. Atlanta was able to go on a 10-0 run to lead by as much as five points at 59-54, but failed to get shots to fall in the final four minutes of the game. Indiana’s 6-0 stretch closed out the game as Erica Wheeler’s layup in the final seconds gave the Fever the game.
Atlanta returns home to host the Chicago Sky Saturday, August 3 at 7:00 p.m. in the team’s annual Dream Pink game.
Atlanta Dream Notes
- Atlanta started Renee Montgomery, Tiffany Hayes, Brittney Sykes, Jessica Breland and Elizabeth Williams.
- The Dream is now 24-22 all-time against the Fever, and 9-15 when playing in Indiana.
- Renee Montgomery reached 500 made three-pointers in her career with one on Wednesday. She is just the 13th player in the WNBA to reach this milestone, and the fifth active player in the league with 500 made three-pointers.
- She is one of just two players to have 100 three-pointers with three different teams (along with Tina Thompson).
- Elizabeth Williams tied her season high for the third time with 17 points. Her 7 made field goals and 15 attempted are both season high records.
- Alex Bentley tied her season high with 12 points (last: 7/14 vs. Los Angeles).
- Jessica Breland earned double-digit rebounds (11) for the third time this season.
- Monique Billings pulled down double-digit rebounds (12) for the third time this season. She led the team in total rebounds on all three of those occasions.
- With 6 points tonight, Brittney Sykes is now just 15 points away from reaching 1,000 in her career.
- Alaina Coates made her first appearance in a Dream uniform Wednesday night. She pulled down one defensive rebound.