Ashley McBryde Releases Highly-Anticipated Follow-Up “Never Will”
Reigning ACM New Female Artist, CMA New Artist of the Year and 3x GRAMMY nominee Ashley McBryde releases follow-up Never Will today, Friday, April 3 on Warner Music Nashville.
Rolling Stone and NPR each named McBryde’s sophomore album as one of the most anticipated projects of 2020. With the release of “Martha Divine” earlier this year, NPR stated, “Mark It Down: Ashley McBryde Is In For A Massive Year,” conveying high expectations for Never Will.
“Even though you try to avoid pressure, you can’t because your second record has to prove that your first record was not a fluke,” McBryde says. “But if we thought too hard, we would have neutered ourselves and not taken some of the chances we wanted to take.”
Associated Press observes Never Will “doubles down on the rock and bluegrass influences on songs like ‘Voodoo Doll,’ in which she turns her powerful vocals to 11 while merging mandolin licks with electric guitar solos. And in a song that would make Patty Loveless proud, she does an acoustic bluegrass turn on ‘Velvet Red’ as her voice warbles with that high lonesome twang.”
The Tennessean remarks the Jay Joyce produced tracks are “filled with potent, personal storytelling as McBryde wrestles with grief, uncertainty, loneliness, rage jealousy and passion,” while American Songwriter notes McBryde “ramps up the volume after her successful 2018 debut, cranking out a rock/country hybrid that’s more visceral than, well, country/rock, and hits harder too,” and praises McBryde as an “empowered woman whose rootsy music balances gutsy rocking with classic country, folk and even slight bluegrass influences.”
“We have a tendency to be a rock band,” McBryde says. “If we’re going to have those rock tendencies in our sound, let’s don’t just do it a little bit. Dig into that, like you do in therapy. Let’s find out why we do that, and let’s do it on purpose.
“At first, I thought, I don’t know if all these songs go together,” she continued. “Then, when we laid them all down, I saw, oh yeah. They do. It’s called range. You’re a complete person. You don’t just make a rock record. You don’t just make a country record. You make your record.”
McBryde will perform an acoustic set this Saturday, April 4 at 7 p.m. CT on the Grand Ole Opry, kicking off its #UNBROKEN charitable campaign for the MusiCares COVID-19 Relief Fund. During this time, the Saturday Night Grand Ole Opry has returned to its original format as a live broadcast without a live audience. Fans can tune in to the broadcast via the Circle Network at circleplus.com, on Facebook or YouTube, or listen on radio at opry.com and wsmonline.com, via the Opry and WSM mobile apps and on their flagship radio home, 650 AM WSM.
Never Will is available everywhere HERE.
Never Will Track Listing:
- Hang In There Girl (Ashley McBryde, Jeremy Bussey)
- One Night Standards (Ashley McBryde, Nicolette Hayford, Shane McAnally)
- Shut Up Sheila (Nicolette Hayford, Charles Chisholm)
- First Thing I Reach For (Ashley McBryde, Randall Clay, Mick Holland)
- Voodoo Doll (Ashley McBryde, Nicolette Hayford, Brandy Clark, Connie Harrington, Jake Mitchell, Aaron Raitiere)
- Sparrow (Ashley McBryde, Nicolette Hayford, Brandy Clark, Connie Harrington, Jake Mitchell, Aaron Raitiere)
- Martha Divine (Ashley McBryde, Jeremy Spillman)
- Velvet Red (Ashley McBryde, Patrick Savage, Daniel Smalley)
- Stone (Ashley McBryde, Nicolette Hayford)
- Never Will (Ashley McBryde, Chris Harris, Blue Foley, Matt Helmkamp, Christian Sancho, Victor Quinn Hill)
- Styrofoam (Randall Clay)