Quakes earn second win in last three matches; Hoesen tallies brace
The San Jose Earthquakes defeated Western Conference foe Sporting Kansas City 4-1 on Saturday night at Avaya Stadium. It marked the Quakes’ second consecutive home victory, in which they’ve outscored their opponents 7-1 and allowed no goals from the run of play.
Forward Danny Hoesen scored two goals in the first 12 minutes, giving him three goals in the last three matches. Shea Salinas and Magnus Eriksson also tallied for San Jose, while Anibal Godoy, Jackson Yueill and Eriksson each recorded one assist.
The result was just the fourth loss since last August for Sporting Kansas City, who entered Saturday with an 11-3-5 record in their last 20 MLS matches.
MLS Regular Season
San Jose Earthquakes 4 – 1 Sporting Kansas City
April 20, 2019 – Avaya Stadium in San Jose, Calif.
Man of the Match: Danny Hoesen
Scoring Summary: SJ – Danny Hoesen (Anibal Godoy) 6; SJ – Danny Hoesen (Jackson Yueill) 12; SJ – Shea Salinas (Magnus Eriksson) 46; SJ – Magnus Eriksson (unassisted) 61; SKC – Felipe Gutiérrez (penalty) 66.
Misconduct Summary: SJ – Cristian Espinoza (caution) 45+2; SJ – Anibal Goody (caution) 45+5; SKC – Ilie Sánchez (caution) 48; SKC – Yohan Croizet (caution) 54; SJ – Tommy Thompson (caution) 54.
SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES: Daniel Vega; Nick Lima, Florian Jungwirth, Harold Cummings, Tommy Thompson (Judson 70); Anibal Godoy; Shea Salinas, Jackson Yueill, Magnus Eriksson, Cristian Espinoza (Paul Marie 80); Danny Hoesen (Chris Wondolowski 80).
SHOTS: 14; SHOTS ON TARGET: 7; SAVES: 6; FOULS: 9 CORNER KICKS: 4; OFFSIDES: 0
SPORTING KANSAS CITY: Tim Melia; Yohan Croizet, Matt Besler (Abdul Rwatubyaye 15), Botond Baráth, Graham Zusi; Felipe Gutiérrez, Ilie Sánchez (Kelyn Rowe 62), Gianluca Busio (Dániel Sallói 57); Gerso, Krisztian Németh, Johnny Russell.
- Danny Hoesen scored his second and third goals of the season, the 19th and 20th of his MLS career. Hoesen’s goals came in the sixth and 12th minutes of the match, the second earliest brace in Quakes history (Dwyane De Rosario – 9/27/03; 11 minutes).
- Hoesen’s brace marked his third multi-goal match with the Earthquakes and first since June 13, 2018 (2 goals vs. NE). The last Quakes player to score two or more goals in a single match was Vako vs. FC Dallas on Aug. 29, 2018.
- Shea Salinas scored his second goal of the season and 15th of his MLS career. The last time Salinas scored multiple goals in a single season was 2015 (3).
- Anibal Godoy tallied his second assist of the season and seventh of his MLS career.
- Jackson Yueill tallied his first assist of the season and fifth of his MLS career.
- Only the LA Galaxy (9) and Seattle Sounders FC (7) have earned more points than San Jose’s six over their last three matches.
- The Earthquakes now hold a 25-26-8 all-time record against Sporting Kansas City.
- San Jose is now 17-6-7 all-time against Sporting Kansas City at home.
- The Quakes are now 3-2-1 against SKC all-time at Avaya Stadium.