On the new episode of OTHERtone, the new podcast series hosted by Pharrell Williams, Scott Vener and Fam-Lay, the guest is Stacey Abrams. The episode featuring Abrams is out now.
Link to OTHERtone podcast is here.
- Pharrell tells Abrams: “If there ever really was an American dream, it’s you. It really is.”
- They discuss how Abrams grew up poor in Mississippi and was taught by her parents that: “having nothing is not an excuse for doing nothing.”
- Regarding her role in the Georgia election, Abrams states: “I’ve tried my best to be celebratory of those who did the work. I’d rather celebrate and recognize everyone who was a part of getting there. No matter when they got on board. I have no right to victory. No politician running for office has the right to win. But as a citizen of Georgia, I had the right to make certain that the votes were counted, that the people who wanted to participate could.”
- Stacey Abrams: “We are a better people when we make certain, we keep an eye on what’s going on… When we talk to our state legislators, when we talk to our mayors and our city council members, when we talk to our congress people and when we celebrate successes and then we ask for what we need. We have to make certain that protesting in the halls of power become a part of the triumvirate of our success.”
- Stacey Abrams talks about the “disease of racial injustice in our country” and states: “We have to remember that doesn’t go away when you stop voting for it. It just finds a new way in the door.”
You can listen to OTHERtone on Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Pocket Casts, Google Podcasts, Amazon Music, and on any other podcast platform. The show is a co-production between OTHERtone and Gilded Audio Creative.